Our playbook is two-fold:
1) Creating a Merchant Engagement strategy for Pico Blvd, a 2.8 mile commercial district (the longest business improvement district in Santa Monica) which runs from the I-10 Freeway to the Pacific Ocean and is home to over 300 businesses. This merchant engagement strategy will be a process that utilizes technology/software that engages the Pico merchants to participate in the Pico Improvement Organization (PIO), to assist them in attracting customers, and to benefit the revitalization of Pico Blvd's economic vitality. Current efforts include social media, direct email outreach, local newspaper advertising, hosting merchant mixer events, participating in community events (e.g. Most Loved SM Businesses, Buy Local Festival, National Night Out), etc.
2) Utilizing technology to help our Pico Blvd merchants engage their customers and increase their sales. Once the merchants are engaged, we will use the same process and technology/software to assist the merchants in attracting customers and sales. We are home to many multi-cultural second and third generation family-owned businesses who contribute to the unique identify of Pico Boulevard and provide much-needed services to the community. Many of our businesses lack the time, funding or marketing sophistication to effectively engage with the community, including our 90,000 Santa Monica residents and 8.3 million annual visitors. We also serve as a incubator for entrepreneurs in Santa Monica and look to continue to foster this role. We serve a very diverse local community.
*We prefer to use the same process and technology/software for both components of the outreach strategy. For us, it's not about just dollars and cents on Pico Boulevard but helping to sustain the unique, multi-cultural environment we have of small businesses and services that serve as the backbone to Santa Monica.
Name: Pico Improvement Organization
Organization Type and Size:
Company/Number of Employees: 0 + 7 Board Members
Non-profit/Number Served Annually: 300 business members
Academic Organization/Number of Students: n/a
Group or a Community/Number of Members: see above
Other Organization Type (explain):
Your Organization's Product or Service: Business Improvement District/ Merchant Association
Your Organization's Point of Contact:
Full Name: David Ruiz
E-mail address: email@example.com
Phone #: (310) 458 -2201 x6315
Area of Business Process Improvement Your Organization Needs: Marketing Plan, Strategic Business Support, Board Development
Other Helpful Background Information You'd Like to Provide About Your Organization: We were established in 2000 by the City of Santa Monica and the Pico Boulevard merchants. We are a non-profit organization governed by a 7-member Board of Directors (5 merchant members, 2 resident members).
2nd ROUND APPLICATION FOR BUSINESS PROCESS DESIGN
1) The student team will focus on ONE area of business process improvement that your organization needs. If you have not done so already, please provide the following:
2) What is your experience with business process improvement? We have a social media/event marketing partner but no strategic business consultant.
3) Where is your organization currently operating from? Your address is preferred, but a a general area is acceptable (like DTLA, West side, Hollywood, etc) Pico Boulevard, Santa Monica (the mailing address is PIO, 3019 Pico Blvd #4, Santa Monica, CA 90405)
4) Are you willing to participate in physical meetings (i.e. JoinIN Huddles) with students on USC campus? Yes we’re willing. We would just need more information on the time/location so we can schedule.
5) How do you think you and your organization can benefit the USC students? It would give them exposure to business improvement districts (ours is one of the biggest in LA!). Pico Blvd offers students great exposure to a diverse range of local, independent businesses and also offers the students a chance to work with the community and city of Santa Monica. This will expose them to BID financial and tax money at work and meaningful civic engagement.
Posted on Wednesday, December 21st, 2016
Are you sure you want to delete this comment?Close
Please first add a commentClose
Please select one before votingClose
You cannot vote more than onceClose
Email Sent to Pico Improvement Organization TeamClose